"But by the grace of God I am what I am! 1 Corin. 15:10"

Sunday, March 28, 2010

My first quilt

Pin It After searching around online for some cute ideas, I came across this Rag Quilt at Creations by Kara  it was so gorgeous I just had to try except I had no pattern in mind.  I have always wanted to make Maddie a quilt using some of her baby clothes but I couldn't bring myself to cutting up too many, so I had just a few I could use. Most of them were t-shirt material so I knew that they wouldn't ravel like I would want for the quilt but thought it would be a little different in texture.  I had Maddie use some fabric paint and we put her hand prints on a few blocks and then I let her use a permanent magic marker to draw some pictures on some squares and then I helped her write what the picture was.  She had a lot of fun doing that.

After cutting out the batting on Thursday night and then getting the backing on Friday (which Maddie chose) and cutting that out, I did 1 row before going to bed that night just to see how it would do.  It turned out pretty cute.  I was so excited to get started.  Started sewing around 9a on Sat and then finally around 8p I was done.  WHEW!!  Not sure if I want to do another one of those or not!  lol  Guess it won't be that bad since I now know what to expect and hopefully I won't try to get it all done in ONE day!  I would love to say I did it all myself but mom did help.  I would get so tired and need a break so she would jump in a take over.  It was nice to have her helping with it though!  Gave me a nice break and it gone done that much quicker!  So after getting it sewed together around 8p, I then spent almost another 2 hours clipping the seams so they would ravel.  I then washed and dried it only to find several spots that I had missed when I was clipping so I had to clip them again too.  I think it will look so much better after a few more washes.  It's nice and raveled now just not as much as I would like.
So a big Thank You goes out to my mom for helping me sew and when she wasn't sewing she was keeping Maddie occupied, also a very big Thank You goes out to Sharron for helping keep Maddie entertained and for surprising mom and I with brand new Pinking Shears!!!  Yea us!!!  Thanks again Sharron!!!

2 comments:

Patty said...

nice quilt. Looks like you all had a fun weekend.

My Mad World said...

Thanks Patty!! Yes we did!! Maddie is still all wound up from all the excitement!! lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Christian Women Online