"But by the grace of God I am what I am! 1 Corin. 15:10"

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tunisian Stitch

Pin It
Several months ago I wrote about the Tunisian stitch.  I was so happy because I got a whole bunch of hooks on ebay and couldn’t wait to start!  Well, it is a very fun stitch and very addictive but I never did finish the blanket or the scarf.  I just got started on too many other things… I am still working on my granny stripe blanket but once that is done I think I will start on the Tunisian stitch again. 

My friend Mary from Crocheting the Day Away did a wonderful tutorial on the stitch.  It was her first every How-to post but she did an excellent job!  I just wanted to share it.  Here’s a little bit and to read more just click the link and go check her out!

Tunisian Crochet Basic Stitch
IMGP3746 edit basic stitch
Welcome friends! This is my first How-To blog post and I am excited to share with you.

I am going to show you how to Tunisian Crochet. Some of you may have heard of it and others maybe not. Either way, you will learn how to do it today!

Tunisian Crochet is a fabulous way of mixing crocheting and knitting. It’s a back and forth motion of taking stitches on and off the hook with out turning.  And don’t worry if the “knitting” part scares you. I promise you don’t need to know a thing about knitting to do this.
 
To start off, you need a Tunisian Crochet hook. This is also called an afghan hook.
IMGP3671 edit
 
As you can see, it’s a long crochet hook…
IMGP3674 edit
 
… with a stopper at the end like a knitting needle. This is so your stitches won’t fall off the hook
IMGP3672 edit
If you can't get your hands on one of these, you can use one of your regular crochet hooks. This is great to use for practicing. But keep in mind, you can’t make as many stitches and you have to make sure you can keep those stiches on your hook. I recommend putting something on the end of the hook like a hair binder or something like that.
 
As far as yarn, feel free to use whatever you have on hand that will work with your hook.

IMGP3678 edit
……………………………….
Stitches
Ch- Chain
Yo- Yarn over
Sts- Stitches
Sk- Skip
Sl St- Slip Stitch
Did you notice there’s no single, double, treble (etc.) crochets? That’s why this is so easy!
……………………………….
A big thing you need to know and keep in mind as you do this is that you will go back and forth on your work and never turn. The right side of your work is always facing you.
These will be called The Forward Pass and The Return Pass. The Forward Pass you will be working right to left and The Return Pass you will work left to right. Basically you are just zig-zagging back and forth. I promise it’s not complicated.
Smile
So lets getting started!
 
Big Tip: Try to work loosely if possible. This will help prevent your work from curling
 
First we need to do the foundation row, which is one forward pass and one return pass.
Make a slip knot and place it on your hook

IMGP3681 edit
 
Next you need to chain. You can do as many as you like, but I did 15. A good number to start with when practicing. I also don’t recommend doing too many.
Chain 15

IMGP3682 edit
 
Now we are going to start The Forward Pass for the foundation row. This will involve simply pulling up a loop in each chain. *You will keep all the loops on the hook as you go.
To start, insert your hook into the 2nd chain from the hook. (The loop on the hook counts as the first loop)

IMGP3683 edit chain
 
Yarn over

IMGP3684 edit
 
And pull up a loop. You now have two loops on your hook

IMGP3685 edit

For the rest of this wonderful tutorial go and check out Mary from Crocheting the Day Away!  Thanks!!!  Have fun!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Christian Women Online