"But by the grace of God I am what I am! 1 Corin. 15:10"

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Low Carb Pancakes

Pin It
I know I haven’t been writing much lately so here’s a little update.  (I will update on Mad a little later.) In January I went to the Dr. for my plantar fasciitis and he mentioned that when we started eating low carb it helped with his pain.  I figured what would it hurt to give it a try?  We all know I can stand to lose some weight too.  Since the 26th of Jan. I have lost 24lbs!  It hasn’t been easy but it hasn’t been as hard as I thought either.  My pain hasn’t subsided a bit though but I will still continue with the low carb eating.  I know all that sugar wasn’t good for me but I do miss having my cereal when I don’t want to cook. 

I was missing pancakes and waffles and I hunted up a low carb pancake recipe.  There are a lot out there but I still haven’t gone out and bought all the low carb stuff like almond flour and all the other good flours out there.  I found one that was made from pork rinds.  Yep, you read that right, Pork Rind Pancakes!!  I thought yuck, but was willing to give it a try.  (and I need to find a new sugar free syrup, it’s 11g for 1/4 cup and that is half my days worth of carbs!)

I decided to give the pancakes a go this morning.  My daughter just set there with her nose curled up as I was making them.  Once they were done and we tried them they weren’t that bad!  A little denser than regular pancakes but not bad.  She said they tasted like cinnamon rolls and I just wondered what kind of cinnamon rolls she’s been eating because, um, no!  Nothing like the cinnamon rolls I remember!
 
Enjoy!

Here’s the recipe I got from Mr. Breakfast.
Low-Carb Pancakes (Pork Rinds)
*image from Mr. Breakfast also
Low-Carb Pancakes (Pork Rinds)
(1 serving)    Printable Version
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 of a 3-oz bag of unflavored pork rinds
  • 3 packets of Splenda (or other sugar alternative)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 dash nutmeg
Crumble pork rinds until they resemble bread crumbs.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs until frothy then add remaining ingredients and continue to beat until well mixed. Add pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and set aside for 5 minutes to allow batter to thicken.
Cook on a lightly greased skillet as you would any pancake recipe. Drop batter on surface large spoonfuls. Cook until each side is lightly browned.
Serve with butter and a low-carb store bought syrup. Or for an interesting low-carb topping, mix 1 Tablespoon of sugar-free jam with 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons water and microwave for 45 seconds.
For more low-carb recipes try Mr. Breakfast's Low-Carb Breakfast Index.

These pork rinds are surprisingly low in fat and have zero carbs. They may sound pretty crazy, but these little pancakes are fantastic!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Christian Women Online